Monday, August 21, 2017

When Tragedy Strikes

Tragedy struck twice last week, and I was left to wonder, "Where does grace reside?" One tragedy is known to all, public in every respect, while the other tragedy is private, known and felt and mourned by a much smaller number. In both the public and private tragedy, the question of God's grace was a living concern.
        The public tragedy to which I refer is, of course, Charlottesville. This tragedy is both the loss of three lives but also the failure of some to speak truth: white supremacy is inherently and intrinsically violent. Even in the absence of any physical violence, there is moral violence and spiritual violence in its presence. Full stop. Breathe. Question: where does grace reside?
        The private tragedy to which I refer occurred when my wife's 24 year old cousin and her 4 year old daughter were victims of a double homicide. The fact that their murderer has been captured does not and cannot lighten the shadow of grief, anger, and despair to which our hearts have been invited. Full stop. Breathe. Question: where does grace reside?
        Living in the shadow of these twin towers of tragedy my mind has wandered a bit. I find myself wondering what went through Dietrich Bonhoeffer's mind in the 1930's. At what point did he think to himself, "I must speak, must act, yet must seek to live into costly grace." I remember Karl Barth who reminded us that we can live without knowing the answers to all of life's questions but not without knowing if what we proclaim is true, if the Gospel really matters: the love of God, the resurrection of the dead, the promised new creation.
        This week I am finding grace resides in the shadows of these twin griefs. For some, clarity has been found, courage discovered, and with these gifts of Holy Spirit the truth spoken in love. For others, the lament of their soul has been accompanied by a "peace that passes understanding" even while an unquenchable fire has been lit that will, I believe, prove to be the refiner's fire. For still others, the still, small voice of the Spirit has spoken and in the whisper repentance invited.
        For me, I am finding grace in the company of family and the compassion of friends. In the darkness of shadows the light of our Savior's promise becomes more authentically felt; at least, such is my experience. I am finding grace in the comfort of our shared conviction: it is all true, and the Gospel really does matter. And because the Gospel matters I will speak. Full stop. Breathing. Yes, I will speak.

In the eye of Jesus,

Brad Munroe 

No comments:

Post a Comment