Friday, January 13, 2017

Back to Back Splash! William Willimon and Richard Blackburn

As we prepare to gather as combined presbyteries, as faith communities divided by the Gila River but united by Jesus, we are offered unique opportunities to receive blessing, with which we may then be a blessing to others. John Calvin imagined the gathering of presbyters as a “college of pastoral leaders” in which they would learn together ways to deepen faith – their own and others. Such blessing is foundational and organic to our faith.
After promising to make Abram a nation and give to his offspring a land of their own, God assured Abram that,
…all peoples on Earth will be blessed through you (Genesis 12:3).
Speaking to Isaiah about the nation of Israel, God assured Israel that,
It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth (Isaiah 49:6).
And the Gospels, of course, are littered with invitations to accept our call to be a blessing:
Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me (Matthew 25:34-36).
It is my understanding of Calvin’s “college of pastoral leaders” concept that we must prepare one another, in community, to be the blessing we are called to be. For this reason, the presbytery is offering two opportunities to gather for leadership formation in the next fortnight.

The first opportunity for us to gather for leadership formation is to hear Bishop William Willimon discuss and encourage us in practices of congregational renewal at Ignite the Spark! on Friday, January 27 from 9:30 – 2:30 at First Presbyterian Church of Mesa. To register, click on this link:
http://pbygrandcanyon.org/ignite-the-spark-a-three-year-cycle-of-workshops-aimed-at-initiating-congregational-renewal/.

The second opportunity for us to gather for leadership formation is to hear Dr. Richard Blackburn discuss healthy congregational leadership. Dr Blackburn is a nationally renowned leader in conflict mediation and congregational health who serves through the Lombard-Mennonite Peacemaking Center. Dr. Blackburn’s workshop on “Anxiety and Leadership in the Church” is on Wednesday, February 1 from 9:00 – 4:00 at Memorial Presbyterian Church. To register, click on this link:
http://www.lmpeacecenter.org/events/

Both of these opportunities are underwritten by grants from the General Assembly. To Register for  Ignite the Spark! (for those staying over for the presbytery meeting), click here.  To seek reimbursement for your registration for “Anxiety and Leadership in the Church,” email
bradmunroe1963@gmail.com  with your name(s), addresses, and how much your registration fee was; I will process reimbursements the week of the event. 

See you soon,

Brad Munroe

No comments:

Post a Comment