Friday, October 28, 2016

4 X 4 Discipleship and the Next Step

At the Synod Kaleidoscope, the Rev. Dr. Mike Johnson shared his research into the phases of discipleship as a continual journey, expressing one’s values and character, rooted in Biblical and theological tradition, encompassing all of life for each and every Jesus follower. Extensive research suggests a variety of ways to conceive this journey, but a simplified overview suggests of a four-fold path:
·         Exploring (infant) or stranger to Jesus
·         Growing and Serving (child) or friendly with Jesus
·         Journeying Deeper (adolescent) or close friend of Jesus
·         Abiding in Christ (adult) Jesus is a confidant and constant companion
One question with which we must wrestle as teaching elders and ruling elders is what these distinctions look like and what they suggest for our ministries. What, for example, is the difference between being friendly with Jesus versus being a close friend versus having Jesus as one’s confidant and constant companion? Mike suggests the following distinctions:
·         Friendly with Jesus: I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord. I pray and/or read Scripture once in a while. I think about God sometimes and ask God for help when I really need it.I participate in an occasional service project.
·         Close friend of Jesus: I am trusting more in Jesus. I work at reading and meditating on Scripture and praying on my own and/or with my family. I am taking steps to grow spiritually, like participating in a small group. I am committed to regularly serving others.
·         Jesus is a confidant: I find it hard to remember or imagine what life would be like without Jesus as my Savior, Lord and constant companion. I have been part of a small group for some time, am leading a group. I am willing to respond to the nudge of the Holy Spirit, even when He nudges me beyond my comfort zone. I participate in relationships of compassion and justice.
A major research project conducted on over 10,000 congregations, the Reveal study, suggests that as much as 60% of a typical congregation’s members are friendly with Jesus, with the remaining 40% of the congregation divided among being strangers, close friends or confidants. That 60% of our members are merely friendly with Jesus, to me, is somewhat surprising, mildly discouraging, and yet also energizing. I love a good challenge! It suggests to me that our ministries must invite people toward taking the next step.
What is “the next step”? The next step is the growing edge of faith that invites one a wee bit deeper into reflection on Scripture, a hair’s breadth wider into compassion for others, or a whisper louder toward expressing faith in public realms. The next step invites vulnerability in sharing, contemplation in prayer, a generous heart toward others and courageous honesty toward self. The next step is hearing Jesus’ words “Repent (turn away from brokenness, turn toward the living God) for the Kingdom of God is at hand (closer than our own breath!) as longing and desire.
And as invitation.
Getting fired up for the Lord,
Brad Munroe

No comments:

Post a Comment