Thursday, May 21, 2015

On Theological Conversation: Bridge-Building Between “Progressives” and “Evangelicals”

I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices. Like any other choir, the one known as Grand Canyon Presbytery sings in four parts, perhaps more, and strives for a harmony that will lead others to praise. At least, such is the goal of our ideal selves. Alas, we are not always our ideal selves and harmony remains elusive.
            This week the news from Fountain Hills was that eight evangelical churches have joined in common cause to preach an eight-part sermon series on “Progressive Christianity: Fact or Fiction?”[i] (Link below)The president of the ministerial alliance, Bill Good, pastor of Fountain Hills Presbyterian, was interviewed by Fox News, an interview which went viral; leading progressive voices weighed in with their dismay that, as it appeared to them, these eight churches were attacking all progressives. Evangelicals and progressives both took to social media to offer an opinion for or against what has become a firestorm of controversy; many within the presbytery, and even a friend from Tampa, have contacted me personally.
            I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices. Acknowledging this truth, I feel the need to speak in support of grace toward one another. The clear and present temptation is to take a public stand berating another for something one reads or hears on Facebook or Fox. Let me advise caution and restraint! Instead of reacting, I would prefer we respond to one another with thoughtful, theological dialogue.
            I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices. I had coffee on Tuesday morning with Bill Good,[ii]  our pastor in Fountain Hills. Bill assured me that his intent was never to attack anyone else but to lift up the winsome and compelling nature of the Gospel message; that he personally makes a distinction between “Progressive Christianity” and “Christians who think progressively about their faith.” Bill encouraged me, and I encourage you, to listen to his sermon before forming an opinion about what was said.[iii](Link below) Further, Bill stated that he and his colleagues took great pains to ensure that their sermon series would not be directed at any one person or church but rather was responding to a particular understanding of faith, a brief introduction to which can be found here.[iv](Link below) Bill celebrates that eight, diverse churches were able to agree on something as an expression of the Body of Christ.
            I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices. In my response to Bill, I told him that I hear his heart and that his intent was to bring members of the Fountain Hills community to faith through the transforming power of the Gospel. I also expressed my opinion that there were some regrettable messages conveyed; namely, that the distinction between “Progressive Christianity” and “Christians who think progressively about their faith” is subtle and rather easy to misconstrue as being an attack against many of our brothers and sisters within the presbytery and that the title of the sermon series, though obviously effective as a marketing campaign in that it is drawing lots of attention, is also easy to misconstrue.
            I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices. Let me suggest, however, that this can be a watershed moment for the presbytery, as it raises serious questions about our ability to be in conversation with one another. This situation could be the “poisoning of the community well” or “the wake-up call” that  leads us all to examine our own hearts in order to find love and mercy toward brothers and sisters of differing expression but the same conviction to love and serve Jesus Christ.
I cannot speak for the entire presbytery; mine is but a single voice amidst a chorus of voices.  If I may be so bold, I call each one reading this newsletter to craft a thoughtful, theological articulation of your faith in which you outline your core convictions of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. As my friend Wayne Darbonne recently posted on Facebook, “The invitation of Christianity is not primarily mental assent to religious ideas, it is to enter a dynamic relationship with a living Person.” What does this dynamic relationship mean to you? I would be interested in receiving brief, one-page statements of how you express your faith as a living, relational connection and dynamic, missional call from the God confessed in Scripture and our confessions.[v]
            Last month, Tom Lineweaver and Tully Fletcher came to the Leadership Team meeting and requested that the Leadership Team engage the presbytery in deep, sustained theological conversation. At the time, I doubted whether their idea was even possible; I now see that it is necessary.

Searching for oneness in Jesus; can it be found?
Brad Munroe



[i]http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/29058247/2015/05/13/faith-fight
[ii] I have Bill’s permission to share our conversation.
[v] Statements can be emailed to bradmunroe1963@gmail.com. All statements will be considered public unless I receive written direction to maintain confidentiality. If you do not want your statement shared with others, please indicate such in your email.

No comments:

Post a Comment